Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Assignment 4 Review & Feedback.

As part of the preparation for having my work assessed I have been re-reading the assignment tutor reports. I did not actually realise that it would be advisable to re-shoot the suggestions in the reports. However I can see the wisdom of it now. So for Assignment 4 here are the original photos with the edits too.

Photo 1.

My tutor's remarks are complimentary about the photo and he does say that it meets the requirements of shape. However he does feel that the creases in the white sheet distract from the subject. He suggests that shallow depth of field would have been better and I agree.

Here I have blurred the background in photoshop and its a definite improvement.

Photo 2.

The critical remarks are very much the same here. He points out the creases in the sheet and also the base and backdrop seperation. Again he suggests that shallow depth of field as a possible solution.

Here again I have blurred the background in photoshop and the improvement is noticeable.

Photo 3.


The criticism is the same here.

This is a big improvement.

Photo 4.


Here the main criticism is that the lighting from the top rear light off left highlights the hair/head of the statue but leaves the face in shadow. This unbalances the composition. My feeling on this is that I do not completely agree. I feel that the empty space to the right acts to balance the composition. However here below I have applied a curves adjustment in photoshop which does lessen the effect.



Photo 5;


Here the only point he picks up on is the specular high light on the ear.


Here I have changed this in photoshop. I agree with the criticism. The eye is drawn straight to that point in the previous shot.

Photo 7.

Here I agree with his criticism which is that although the composition is good, the light on the left ear, which is out of focus is distracting.


Here I have attempted to focus attention on the eyes. I do like the way the previous photo brings out the curve of the cheek.

Photo 8.

His main criticism here seems to have been that the light on the hair on the left is distracting from the main graphic element of the eyes. He also suggests a central composition.


This is the amended photo and again I agree it is much stronger.

Photo 9.

Here the criticism is that the focus is on the nose and not on the eyes. He does however like my deliberate use of specular highlights.


Here is my attempt to retake this. Again looking in comparison with the previous I agree.

Photo 10.

here the feed back is again positive. The only critism is to remove the ear lobe that is a distraction.


This version is better.

Photo 11.

The only point made here is about the highlighted area on the right. It is suggested that it is a distraction.


I think this is better.

Photo 14.

Here while he likes the colour and the flowers he does rightly point out that the composition is unresolved. The hand of the statue is on the periphery of the composition and out of focus and the flower in the centre needs to be facing the camera.


Here I have made the hand the centre of interest. The picture is definitely much stronger.





No comments:

Post a Comment