Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Project 56; Softening the light.


These pictures were taken with a speedlite mounted on a tripod and positioned above the frame. The first used no diffuser and the second had some tracing paper over the flash. Interesting that both were taken inside during the day although there is so little ambient light that it seems to be night time. The first one was taken at ISO 100, F 22 and 1/250th of a second. the second was taken at ISO 100, F11 and 1/250th second. The contrast between the highlights and the shadows is less in the second photo. The highlights are softer in the diffused photo and the shadows are weaker too.
I notice in the second shot that there is more background visible too. There are more details visible in the diffused photo. Overall I prefer the second.
I have been studying the application of flash on youtube, there are many many sources. I was very impressed by Zach Arais and the one light workshop. He breaks down the different variables to easy to understand chunks. As I mentioned on my previous post, the amount of ambient light that shows up in the photo is governed by the shutter speed. In the photo below I have shot at F22 and 1/10 of a second and you can see the background very clearly. The second photo below was taken at F11 and 1/125th of a second. I had to adjust the exposure because of the diffuser but it can be clearly seen that the faster shutter speed cuts down on the ambient light.

No comments:

Post a Comment