Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What makes a good photo?

There is a thread on the OCA page on flickr about this very subject.  It is a very interesting and essential subject for anyone interested in photography.  The answer is very subjective because it is a subjective question.  In fact I have to say that in all honesty it is a question that does not seem to have an answer or at least it doesn't have a single answer.  There was something about the whole discussion that reminded me of the Taoh of Pooh, I have to say that in my opinion people have a habit of over complicating this issue.  This quote from the book comes to mind;

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brain."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that's why he never understands anything."



I was discussing this subject this morning with my wife.  Her opinion on it was that if you answer yes to the following question it must be;  "would I hang it on my wall"?  Now there is no arguing with that is there?  Its a subjective question and it is a subjective answer.  


Perhaps we should be asking a different question .....





No comments:

Post a Comment