Saturday, June 26, 2010

Putting the subject first.

So onto the final section of the course, narrative and illustration. On reading the introduction I think I am inclined to pay more attention to the graphic element of my pictures than the subject matter. I tend to put the subject first like this example;
When I am looking for pictures I tend to examine the graphic elements, I am very heavily influenced by lines, curves, shapes, colour. I understand the picture making process much better now.
Here is a badly taken photo taken by me from a friends wedding. I find the process of telling a story or narrative through photography very difficult. Actually a wedding is a very good example of a subject that is perfect for a narrative. Other examples I can think of now would be a national day of celebration, a parade or daily life. lunchtime seems like a very good subject for me because it is something that happens every day and close to home. Its nice a simple and the only limit to it is my imagination.
I tried this process a couple of days ago working from the point of view that it was easy and I didn't need to really read the notes on it! On reflection I think this is because that is the way I learn. I need to do and make mistakes to learn something. I think the step that I missed out was plotting the story. The second stage is the research, say for lunchtime I could put the term into a search engine like google and see what images it comes up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment